Article delegate-en/76 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119
Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] Re: Preffered interface
09 Sep 1998 11:23:04 GMT ysato@etl.go.jp (Yutaka Sato 佐藤豊)

you "Vadim V. Chepkov" <pjmaabdyi-aipiirakgulr.ml@ml.delegate.org> wrote:
 |I tried to use delegated (v. 5.6.5) but have found a problem.
 |I have multirouted host on which I've installed delegated with one
 |ethernet card whith a few IP-addresses as aliases. One of them
 |I want to use.
 |I run delegated whith -Ppreffered_ip:port and it works fine, but
 |requests are going not from preffered_ip. How to setup it?

-P option specifies the interface to be used to accept connections
from clients, that is the destination of connection.
What you require is another thing; how to specify the source of
connection to the server.  Once I tried it but not completed.
You can find a stuff commented out which is a reminder of the trial
in src/inets.c.

>  static sockopen1(asock,in,what,portname,hostname,direct)
>  /*
>  {
>  int on = 1;
>  char sockname[256];
>  bind_insock(sock,"etlkbs",0);
>  gethostName(sock,sockname,"%A:%P");
>  rcode = Setsockopt(sock, SOL_SOCKET, SO_DONTROUTE, &on, sizeof(on));
>  printf("[%s] dontroute=%d\n",sockname,rcode);
>  }
>  */
>
>          rcode = Bconnect(sock,(SAP)in,sizeof(struct sockaddr_in),direct);

I suppose doing

    bind_insock(sock,"preferred-interface-name",0);

before calling Bconnect() may work well in a special case, where
only single IP routes exists.

I remember the problem is that binding the source name of a socket
makes uncontrollable effect on the IP routing, like TCP connection
error, where the host has multiple IP rotes.