Article delegate-en/61 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119

Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] Re: Help with Delegate
04 Sep 1998 19:18:39 GMT "William H. Geiger III" <phmaabdyi-a3dey5mhvelr.ml@ml.delegate.org>

In <_A60@delegate-en.ML_>, on 09/05/98
   at 03:03 AM, ysato@etl.go.jp (Yutaka Sato 佐藤豊) said:

> |I am trying to run delegate on my Warp4 OS/2 machine as a nntp proxy.
> |
> |I am able to connect to the nntp server through delegate but when I
>issue
> |the LIST command delegate gets the list of newsgroups then promptly
>kills
> |the session with the client (without returning the data).
> |
> |Below is the command I am using to call delegate:
> |
> |delegated -P8119 SERVER=nntp://adesknews.autodesk.com ADMIN=whgiii

>In general, the simplest way to escape a protocol dependent problem,
>bypassing proper setup of necesssary environmnet, is just doing
>transparent relay like:

>% delegated -P8119 SERVER=tcprelay://adesknews.autodesk.com:119
>ADMIN=whgiii

>If you don't need protocol dependent value-added services like caching or
>protocol conversion, such transparent relay will be enough.

Unfortunately I *do* need protocol dependent value-added services (the
combining of multiple nntp servers to form a virtual server). Also I plan
on using this program for much more thn just nntp but I am trying to take
things one step at a time. :)

I am not sure what you mean by bypassing proper setup of necessary
environment? If I am not setting up something properly please let me know.

Something very odd is happening with the nntp relay. I can issue a command
like "help" and that will be returned without problem. I issue a command
like "list" and delegate kills the client session (after receiving the
newsgroup list from the server and saving it in a tmp file).

Also I do not know why I am getting write errors in the logs as the
directories exist and delegate has write access to them.

Thanks,

William H. Geiger III  http://www.openpgp.net

OS/2 PGP 5.0 at: http://www.openpgp.net/pgp.html