Article delegate-en/4799 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119
Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] Re: FTP to HTTP Protocol Translation Gateway
06 May 2010 01:00:51 GMT feedback@delegate.org (Yutaka Sato)
The DeleGate Project

Hi Dave,

you David Fogarty <pxyjabdyi-rcwevegyz7tr.ml@ml.delegate.org> wrote:
 |I'm trying to use delegate to create an FTP front-end to HTTP on the
 |back-end.  Eventually, I'd like to do authenticated and anonymous GET and
 |PUT.  So far, I am able to put HTTP in front of FTP, but not the other way
 |around.  Is this even possible with delegate?
 |
 |SUCCESSFUL:
 |delegated -v -P:8021 SERVER=http MOUNT="/web/* http://127.0.0.1/*" MOUNT="/ftp/* ftp://127.0.0.1/*"
 |
 |FAILED:
 |delegated -v -P:88 SERVER=ftp MOUNT="/web/* http://127.0.0.1/*" MOUNT="/ftp/* ftp://127.0.0.1/*"

It is interesting but not possible in the current implementation of
DeleGate.  In the protocol level, it is easy to map a stateful protocol
as FTP (on client-side) to a stateless protocol as HTTP (on server-side).

What is difficult is mapping the structure of resource tree, or, directory
tree.  For example, a URL as http://server/path1/path2/ might not mean
"path2 is a directory under the directory path1" as in FTP.
Also the format and the content of the response data for
http://server/path1/ is not defined and can vary so widely.
Thus it is not so easy to provide a HTTP server to a FTP client.

If what you need is just mapping a HTTP URL to a FTP path and returning
the content through without conversion (as HTML/HTTP to a file list/FTP),
it is easy to extend DeleGate to do so.  But if you need to see HTML as
if it is a directory, the implementation will be fairly difficult.