Article delegate-en/4725 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119
Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] Re: changing name of stdout.log
13 Jan 2010 14:48:58 GMT feedback@delegate.org (Yutaka Sato)
The DeleGate Project

Hi Stefan,

you Stefan Demmig <poqjabdyi-re5dixvbmxtr.ml@ml.delegate.org> wrote:
 |first of all, thank you very much for your great program delegated. It's a real help.
 |I installed delegate 9.9.6 under Windows 2003 32 bit.
 |
 |While trying to introduce aging into my logfile names I missed a parameter for stdout.log like STDOUT='${LOGDIR}/stdout.log'. Did I miss something or can't I change the name of this logfile? I would like to change it to something likeSTDOUT='${LOGDIR}/[date+%y%m%d]_stdout.log'

I thought my answer should be "Yes, we can" but I found that the file
name is fixed to "stdout.log" or implicitly "${LOGDIR}/stdout.log" in
the function setSTDLOG() in "src/delegated.c".
So I added a new parameter "STDOUTLOG=..." in DeleGate/9.9.7-pre21 and
uploaded it at ftp://ftp.delegate.org/pub/DeleGate/tmp/bin-latest9/
Please give it a try.

By the way, I'm reminded a problem of "stdout.log" aging since it is a
file to get raw output (stdout and stderr) not only from DeleGate but also
from child processes of DeleGate (including that from CGI or CFI commands).
It is not managed log output via a logging functions as other log-files,
but raw and unmanaged output (without a time stamp) to stdout and stderr
(which might show fatal errors) simply redirected to this file (and
inherited to child processes as stdout/stderr as opened file handles).
Thus it is difficult to switch the output (from children) strictly timely
following to the aging by "[date+format]" in LOGDIR or LOGFILE.
(gathering them again via pipe() or such and record it (with time stamp)
might be a solution ...)

Another problem specific to Windows version is that when DeleGate runs
on Windows as a service, it is invoked without effective standard-IO
(stdin,stdout and stderr of which fileno() value is -2).
Because of it, the stdout/stderr of main process of DeleGate service
have not been recorded into stdout.log.
I fixed it in this time too.

 |I would like to change it to something likeSTDOUT='${LOGDIR}/[date+%y%m%d]_stdout.log'

Maybe you intend to give an unique name for all log files (LOGFILE,
PROTOLOG, ERRLOG, ...}.  I think it will be useful if we have a way to
specify a log file name pattern applied to all log files as
  LOGFILEPREFIX="[date+%y%m%d]_"
or
  LOGFILENAME="[date+%y%m%d]_${LOGNAME}"