Article delegate-en/463 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119
Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] Re: Tunneling applications using HTTP
19 May 1999 09:55:47 GMT ysato@etl.go.jp (Yutaka Sato)

On 05/13/99(03:49) you pxuaqbdyi-rcwevegyz7tr.ml@ml.delegate.org wrote
in <_A445@delegate-en.ML_>
 |I am trying to use delegate to setup a tunnel across a firewall that only
 |permits http.
 |What I want to do is the following:
 |client <---generic tcp --->delegate <---http--->delegate<---generic
 |tcp--->server
 |where the client <-->server protocol is proprietary (actually structures
 |passed over
 |sockets) and the http part (between the two delegated processes) passing
 |through one or
 |more firewalls. This is the classic http tunnel problem.
 |
 |I tried various combinations but they don't work. If there is no
 |requirement of http in the
 |middle then the tcprelay option works.

Do you mean that your firewall checks not only whether the port
number in packets is 80 but also whether the content of a packet
is in the message formats of HTTP protocol?

Even so I think you can configure cascaded DeleGates to tunnel
across such firewall.  But I'm not sure whether or not such kind
of usage of DeleGate does not violate a security policy of a network...