Article delegate-en/4329 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119
Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] Re: Cannot list upper level file/directory
06 Jan 2009 10:16:19 GMT feedback@delegate.org (Yutaka Sato)

you "WONG, Wai Bun Ada" <p3iiabdyi-fjxi26b46qlr.ml@ml.delegate.org> wrote:
 |My ftp client is FileZilla (ver 3.1.6).
 |The hidden file problem is solved as I find that I can view the hidden file when my client and server are in the same subnet.
 |So I try to solve the problem of "cannot change to upper level directory"

ok.

 |>From your reply, you says that "But you should be able to change to an upper directory with its absolute path as "/tmp". Would you pls tell me more about this?

I already wrote the answer, the reason why "upper directories" can not
(must not) be shown to clients:

In message <_A4320@delegate-en.ML_> on 12/31/08(14:40:37) I wrote:
 |It is the behavior of DeleGate, to cope with gatewaying FTP to HTTP
 |clients, to keep the mapping of MOUNT consistent, and also a little
 |from a security consideration.  But you should be able to change to
 |an upper directory with its absolute path as "/tmp".

The path in a URL for FTP protocol (ftp://server/path) means the relative
path from the home direcotry of the current user.  The MOUNT for such
directory must not be exploited to reveal upper directories of it.
You can relax the restriction by MOUNTing the root directory of the
target FTP (of sfpt) server.  The root directory is expressed as "%2F"
which is the url-encoded expression of "/", as ftp://server/%2Ftmp/
for example.  So you can specify your MOUNT as

  MOUNT="/* sftp://server/%2F*"

instead of

  MOUNT="/* sftp://server/*"

By MOUNTing the root, the client will be at the root right after login.
Maybe an option should be to let it be at the home directory of a user.