Article delegate-en/42 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119
Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] Re: Delegate
20 Aug 1998 23:50:16 GMT ysato@etl.go.jp (Yutaka Sato 佐藤豊)

you "Soenke J. Peters" <pcyaabdyi-xg5asea7mulr.ml@ml.delegate.org> wrote:
 |Could it be possible to make also patches ("diff -urN") available?
 |It takes a quite long time to get the whole package everytime a new
 |release comes out.

Such distribution of patches (possibly by automatic patch generation)
has been in my To-Do list since the beginning of DeleGate :-)
The problem is that I don't know the best format of patch file which
can be interpreted by any of variety of patch commands, and which can
create and remove files only exist one side of older or newer version.
"Diff -urN" seems good for patch commands on PC based Unixes, but
seems no good for patch commands of Unixes on workstations...

Another approach I have been thinking is: make diff between two *.tar
files each includes whole distribution files, then apply the generated
patch to *.tar to create new *.tar file, that is, making "tardiff" and
"tarpatch".
I think the interpretation of *.tar file will become necessary in future
DeleGate.  Tar file could be treated as a pseudo file directory as the
target of MOUNT parameter like MOUNT="/path/* tar:/path/of/xxx.tar",
and it could be used for compaction of cache file directory, and so on.
Thus I think "tardiff" and "tarpatch" will be developed in the course
of such extension of DeleGate.

 |A really useful extension for those who have to go through caching
 |proxies
 |for accessing ftp servers (e.g. if their provider does transparent
 |proxying of port 21) would be the possibility of doing a http -> ftp
 |conversion, because any known ftp cache (e.g. "squid") only understands
 |http. This way the ftp software does not have to 'know' how to talk to
 |proxies.

Maybe this is the idea which has been investigated by many of proxy
developers including me :-)  I did not do it mainly because it is not
so easy to reconstruct LIST of directory for FTP clients from the
corresponding HTTP object in various HTML formats generated by
various HTTP-proxies.