Article delegate-en/4128 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119
Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] Re: performance measurements and socks question
11 Sep 2008 14:46:31 GMT feedback@delegate.org (Yutaka Sato)

you Andre <pzyhqbdyi-p5l2gy4eextr.ml@ml.delegate.org> wrote:
 |> In message <_A4121@delegate-en.ML_> on 09/11/08(11:51:18) I wrote:
 |>  | |We would also like to know whether it is possible to use the BIND
 |>  | command to open a specific port on the SOCKS server
 |>  | |not just for one client connection, but for multiple client connections.
 |>  |
 |>  |Is it possible with other implementations of a SOCKS server?
 |>  |Since the tcp connection established by the BIND command on the SOCKS
 |>  |protocol becomes a transparent connection with the remote peer after
 |>  |the ACCEPT command, there is no chance to reuse it for another ACCEPT.
 |>
 |> If your intension is just to use a persistent port (as 80/HTTP)
 |> to accept client's connection via the SOCKS server, (not to repeat
 |> ACCEPT on the same SOCKS connection), you can use SRCIF with PORTS as this:
 |>
 |>   PORTS="xx.xx.xx.xx:80"
 |>   SRCIF="xx.xx.xx.xx:80:tcpbind"

Sorry, it is not "PORTS" but "PORT" as the reference manual says :p

 |> If necessary, you can restrict this mapping of reserved port-number based
 |> on the destination host (to be indicated by the SOCKS client) and the
 |> IP-address of the SOCKS client's host, or by user name with AUTHORIZER.
 |>
 |This is my intention, but I would like to be able to do this at runtime,
 |so that I send a command to the server server that there is a service X
 |which wants
 |to accept connections through the server at a specific port. And this
 |should be a persistent port, possibly with timeout.

I don't see the insufficiency by PORT and SRCIF for your requirement.

If necessary, you can select a port to be bound dynamically based on the
request from the SOCKS-client, using the DST.ADDR and/or DST.PORT field
of the BIND command (which is intended to specify the control connection
to a FTP server but will not be used in other protocols) to indicate the
desired port to be bound, using a set of SRCIFs conditional on the
destination host (SRCIF=host:port:proto:dsthost:srchost).

You can omit PORT commands to reserve ports to be used.  But reserving
a port is desirable to keep the LISTEN queue alive persistently not to
drop the connection requests for it when there is no SOCKS-client to
bind/accept from the port.