Article delegate-en/3923 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119
Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] Re: changing parameters of a running delegate instance
01 Feb 2008 04:57:29 GMT feedback@delegate.org (Yutaka Sato)

you Brent Beck <pjyhqbdyi-5bnwhwdzselr.ml@ml.delegate.org> wrote:
 |Is it possible to change some of the configuration parameters of an
 |instance of delegate that is already running (without
 |restarting/interrupting service) ?

It has been the ability to be supported since the beginning, but was
not realized.  It is not so easy because of the implementation of
DeleGate with multi processes, and from security considerations, as
well as the problem of the internal representation of parameters.

I think it is to be realized in the next version (DeleGate 10.X), but
I felt it worth to realize it partially in the current version (9.X)
which is under re-implementation based on threads and shared memory.

 |In my particular situation, I am interested in using terse logging
 |(-vt), but being able to temporarily increase to normal (-vu) or even
 |debug logging (-vd) without having to restart the delegated processes
 |(such as for troubleshooting specific issues, then returning to terse
 |logging afterward without interruption).

Also I think the dynamic logging control must be the first one to be
realized.  Fortunately, it can be controlled with a small set of flags
thus can be switched easily.  In DeleGate/9.8.2-pre10, I gathered the
flags in a single structure and put it on a shared memory, and made
it rewritable dynamically by a client-request.

To protect it from rewritten by arbitrary users, it must be allowed
only for authenticated administrators.  So you need to add the port for
the administration and the authentication for administrators as follows:

  -P8080,8443/admin AUTH=admin::User:Pass

With these parameters, the DeleGate enables administrators to login to
the DeleGate, with the authentication by username User and password Pass
at the following URL:

  https://DeleGate:8443/-/admin/

The URL to control the logging is as follows:

  https://DeleGate:8443/-/admin/logging

Currently, switching the detailness of logging and capturing the log is
supported.