Article delegate-en/3576 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119
Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] Re: Odd HTTP proxy caching retrieval behaviour
11 Nov 2006 19:31:32 GMT feedback@delegate.org (Yutaka Sato)

you "Tetsu Saiga" <p6qgqbdyi-ytjem447qmlr.ml@ml.delegate.org> wrote:
 |The HTTP proxy runs with "delegated -P8080 SERVER=http CACHE=do".
 |Files are cached but they do not get used after the same file is
 |retrieved. Instead the file is retrieved and then re-cached.
 |
 |I can force cache to be used with "delegated -P8080 SERVER=http
 |CACHE=do CONNECT="cache:*:*"". This makes the page load only if
 |there's a cache and cache retrieval works fine. However, non-cache
 |pages won't work.
 |
 |Here are some logs for HTTP with caching, caching only, and the
 |response header. Logs are for different files on the same host.
 |Outputs were generally the same except for the file name.
 |
 |I don't see a lot of difference except with cache only there's a "HTTP
 |cache-VALID". Any ideas on how to get the cache working or force it to
 |work?
 |

 |Cache not working log:
 |[1328] 5+2/6/6: REQUEST = (no-cache)[http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:80/] GET
 |xxxxxxxxxx HTTP/1.1^M

This "(no-cache)" in the log means the request from the client indicated
not to use the cache, maybe with "Pragma: no-cache" or "Cache-Control:
max-age=0" or so which is issued with a "Reload button" of the browser.
You can record the request header into the LOGFILE with a parameter:

  FCL="-tee-h-n"

The request should be with "If-Modified-Since" field and, if there has
been no modification on the data, the response from the server will be
"304 Not-changed" without body to be rewritten to the cache.