Article delegate-en/2282 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119
Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] Re: expire text only?
06 Jun 2003 06:54:15 GMT feedback@delegate.org (Yutaka Sato)

On 05/30/03(22:38) you "James R. Blaney" <p3meabdyi-e6yeroaerylr.ml@ml.delegate.org> wrote
in <_A2267@delegate-en.ML_>
 |Thanks for the reply. If I use the following:
 |HTTPCONF=kill-rhead:Expires
 |
 |it should handle the Expires tag, butI don't think that will work for the
 |following headers, will it?
 |>  |2. <meta http-equiv="refresh" content="1800">
 |>  |3. <meta http-equiv="Pragma" content="no-cache">
 |>  |4. <meta http-equiv="Expires" content="Fri, 30 May 2003, 04:42:15

These tags contained in a HTML document to be used to generate HTTP headers
on server, or used in a client instead of header, affects only the header
of the HTML document which contains the tags.  And you seemed not to care
the expiration of text like text/html: "Subject: expire text only?"

 |I will probably give the external filter or CFI mechanism a try, because in
 |our case, the overhead should still be far less than having to reload lots
 |of images over a 56K connection.

I don't think removing these tags is not necessary nor affect the expiration
of images.

 |Here's a suggested feature: When the proxy receives a request for any image
 |in cache from an expired page, DeleGate issues a HEAD (information only)
 |request about each image, to obtain size and date/time, and if these haven't
 |changed, it reads image from the cache. In this way, many "expired" pages
 |would only reload the html text, not the images. I believe this would make a
 |huge difference in speed of page loading, and without requiring any changes
 |to html tags.

There is If-Modified-Since header or so which are used with GET method to
omitt transmission of body data (header information only) if the original
data is not modified since it is cached.  I think any client program
including browsers and proxies including DeleGate implement this feature.
See RFC1945(HTTP/1.0) or RFC2616(HTTP/1.1)