Article delegate-en/2267 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119

Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] Re: expire text only?
30 May 2003 13:38:00 GMT "James R. Blaney" <p3meabdyi-fjxi26em6qlr.ml@ml.delegate.org>

Thanks for the reply. If I use the following:
HTTPCONF=kill-rhead:Expires

it should handle the Expires tag, butI don't think that will work for the
following headers, will it?
>  |2. <meta http-equiv="refresh" content="1800">
>  |3. <meta http-equiv="Pragma" content="no-cache">
>  |4. <meta http-equiv="Expires" content="Fri, 30 May 2003, 04:42:15

I will probably give the external filter or CFI mechanism a try, because in
our case, the overhead should still be far less than having to reload lots
of images over a 56K connection.

Here's a suggested feature: When the proxy receives a request for any image
in cache from an expired page, DeleGate issues a HEAD (information only)
request about each image, to obtain size and date/time, and if these haven't
changed, it reads image from the cache. In this way, many "expired" pages
would only reload the html text, not the images. I believe this would make a
huge difference in speed of page loading, and without requiring any changes
to html tags.

Thanks again.
Jim.