Article delegate-en/20 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119
Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] Re: Help with unusual NNTP setup
09 Aug 1998 03:57:07 GMT ysato@etl.go.jp (Yutaka Sato 佐藤豊)

you plqoabth4-ytjem43ngilr.ml@ml.delegate.org (Joe George) wrote:
 |I am trying to use DeleGate on a WindowsNT workstation to do JIS
 |character conversion for Forte Agent (NNTP), so I can read
 |Japanese newsgroups with Agent.
 |
 |I know I have DeleGate working with one NNTP server which I've been
 |testing with, but the server I would prefer to use requires a
 |userid and password for authentication.
 |
 |I need to send the commands:
 |AUTHINFO USER userxxxx
 |AUTHINFO PASS passxxxx
 |
 |to the NNTP host before I can retrieve any articles. I can't seem
 |to find a way to get DeleGate to do this when it connects to the
 |server.

It seems a little strange for me that such a major news-reader
(Forte Agent) does not support AUTHINFO authentication...  But
certainly there are news-reader which don't support AUTHINFO.
So I made a very quick hack to generate AUTHINFO by proxy.
Modify src/nntp.c with the enclosed patch and try as follows:

  NT> set NNTP_AUTHINFO=username:password
  NT> delegated ...

Note that this interface specification may be changed in the
official release...

*** ../dist/delegate5.6.1/src/nntp.c	Fri Jul 17 16:02:28 1998
--- nntp.c	Sun Aug  9 12:43:10 1998
***************
*** 2374,2379 ****
--- 2374,2390 ----
  				strcpy(msg,resp);
  		}
  	}
+ 	set_auth(ns);
+ }
+ static set_auth(ns)
+ 	NewsServer *ns;
+ {	char *auth,user[256],pass[256];
+
+ 	if( auth = getenv("NNTP_AUTHINFO") ){
+ 		if( sscanf(auth,"%[^:]:%s",user,pass) == 2 )
+ 		if( putAUTHINFO(ns->ns_wfp,ns->ns_rfp,user,pass) == 0 )
+ 			withAUTH = 1;
+ 	}
  }
  static set_opening(ns,msg)