Article delegate-en/190 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119
Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] Re: Some questions
30 Dec 1998 09:31:53 GMT ysato@etl.go.jp (Yutaka Sato 佐藤豊)

On 12/30/98(17:12) you pxuaabdyi-rn3efjmgyhtr.ml@ml.delegate.org wrote
in <_A189@delegate-en.ML_>
 | - Is there something special to do if I don't need/want to cache
 |   accesses, besides not creating the cache/ directory (it seems to
 |   work fine). I'm just proxying HTTP and HTTPS.

You can explicitly disable any caching by "CACHE=no".

 | - What is the difference between defining SERVER=http and
 |   SERVER=http://-/-/ in the configuration of a HTTP proxy ?

No difference practically as long as you use it as a HTTP proxy.
I understand that these make different response of top page
when the HTTP-DeleGate is accessesed as an origin server,
not as a proxy server.

  SERVER=http://server/path is nearly equal to
  SERVER=http MOUNT="/* http://server/path*", thus
  SERVER=http://-/-/ is equal to
  SERVER=http MOUNT="/ http://-/-/". and
  SERVER=http is implicitry along with
  MOUNT="/ http://-/internal-page-of-Non-CERN-proxy".

If I remember right, ... historically we could not omitt
"://server/path" part in the SERVER parameter so, I think
I did mapped such a virtual server name and a virtual path.

 | - I haven't understood how the authentification process work for
 |   the remote management of DeleGate. The Documentation says to
 |   include 'AUTH="manager:*:my_email@my_domain"', but where does
 |   DeleGate get a password ? (It asks for one when I connect on
 |   the management ;-(

I'm sorry but this remote management with authentication is
still just in very tentative stage...  If you will try, first
prepair a FTP server (host) and account on it (user).  Then
specify AUTH="manager:*:user@host" as a parameter for DeleGate.
Then enther UserName and PassWord prompted by your HTTP client
like follows:
  UserName: user@host
  PassWord: (that of ftp:://user@host)

 |   I know there's written something at the bottom of the management
 |   page about a IDENT daemon, but I don't have one, and something
 |   else about a callback with ftp protocol, but I don't understand
 |   what was meant with that. (and I don't have a ftp server nearby)
 |   Can someone giveme some explanations/examples on how I can
 |   authentificate ?

You may use HTTP server for authentication by enabling a line
commented out in "access.c".

  1094  static AuthServ authenticators[] = {
  1095          {"FTP",  authenticate_by_FTP    },
  1096          /*{"HTTP", authenticate_by_HTTP },*/