Article delegate-en/15 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119
Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] Re: compiler warnings
08 Aug 1998 05:21:35 GMT ysato@etl.go.jp (Yutaka Sato 佐藤豊)

In message <_A14@delegate-en.ML_>
on 08/08/98(09:20:14)
you "Horia Georgescu" <pbyaabdyi-5bnwhwgjselr.ml@ml.delegate.org> wrote:
 |Hi, as advised, I'm posting these questions to the list:
 |I'm compiling DeleGate  on an old 486 machine, running a Linux 2.028, which
 |I plan to use for testing.
 |
 |The question: I see lots of messages like the following:
 |smtpgate.c:1298: warning: `tobe_rejected' was declared implicitly `extern'
 |and later `static'
 |Shall I worry about these messages and try and clean-up a little bit, or
 |what's your advice? Did you actually compile this on Linux, on which
 |version, which version of GCC, libraries etc.?

Generally, don't care about warning as long as the executable works
for your purpose.  This is a old custom since 4 years ago :-)
You may see more warnings on the way of compile of DeleGate on other
platforms, VC++ on MS-Windows for example, but the executable works
without problem.

If a warning is really serious one, it will be found and fixed soon on
the platform or on similar ones.  Before shipping, I usually make
DeleGate on SunOS4, Solaris2, VC++, OSF/1, HP-UX, AIX, IRIX, FreeBSD
and Linux.  As long as I know, Linux on i86 is a very common platform
which does not have no peculiar behaviors on compilation and execution.

Especially, extern/static wornings informs almost nothing of me
because I offten drastically restructure the source code thus at which
position and in which file a function is placed is not so important,
and keeping warning clean make me waste my time.
Type mismatching or casting between integer and pointer sometime
informs something serious on special platforms like Alpha which have
different size for integer (32bits) and pointer (64bits), but it
cause no problem on other platforms.
But anyway, I will try reducing warnings in the next release (5.6.2)...