Article delegate-en/1448 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119
Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] Re: dropping connections with traffic when using silence parameter.
19 Dec 2001 05:42:10 GMT feedback@delegate.org (Yutaka Sato)

On 12/18/01(13:23) you "Mike State" <pmycqbdyi-xg5asefpmulr.ml@ml.delegate.org> wrote
in <_A1447@delegate-en.ML_>
 |I've tried the time=silence:N feature and my connection keeps dropping
 |even though I am passing traffic back and forth (verified with tcpdump).

Could you show me a set of the output of tcpdump and the corresponding
stuff of logfile of DeleGate for a connection?

 |It seems not to drop at the same time either.  I set the silence to 90
 |seconds and it drops somewhere between 2 and 10 minutes.  Also, I
 |noticed that the log shows io:600 when the delegate starts (but I didn't
 |set an io timeout).

Each TIMEOUT has its own default value which is non-zero usually.
<URL:http://www.delegate.org/delegate/Manual.htm#TIMEOUT>
You must set TIMEOUT=io:0 to cancel it.

 |I did the tcpdump on both sides of the connection
 |to verify that it was the delegate that was dropping the connections.
 |I've copied the log below.
 |
 |The scenario I'm trying to protect against is one side of the connection
 |dissappearing while the other side continually sends data.  In this
 |situation, since no RST for FIN was sent when the one side disappeared,
 |the connection stays open.  I need it to drop.

Could you tell me what kind of protocol they are talking?