Article delegate-en/1406 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119

Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] SOCKS 4 Server reply messages
13 Nov 2001 22:15:35 GMT Claudio Topolcic <ppycqbdyi-znqnbun5oylr.ml@ml.delegate.org>

Hello!
         We downloaded DeleGate version 7.5.4 and installed it as
a SOCKS Server on a Mandrake Linux PC. Your directions for doing
this were very simple and we had no problems there.
         However, we did have problems with some SOCKS Clients. I
took a trace and it shows that DeleGate sends 04 in the version
field of SOCKS response messages. The SOCKS 4 specification
(see  http://www.socks.nec.com/protocol/socks4.protocol) says
that this field represents the version of the reply code and
should be 0. Some SOCKS Clients reject the SOCKS exchange based
on this field.
         To test my theory, I made the obvious and trivial
changes to the file socks4.c, recompiled it and made a new
binary and started it. All the Clients are working properly with
that Server. I do not want to propose my changes because I may
have broken something else.
         If you already have a version of DeleGate that implements
the SOCKS 4 version field according to the specification, please
tell me where to find it. I am having difficulty finding any
appropriate notes in the mail archive.
         If you do not yet have such a version of DeleGate, I
recommend that you consider creating one.
         Thanks you, and good luck,
         Claudio