Article delegate-en/129 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119
Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] Re: Ftp authentication
16 Oct 1998 17:18:18 GMT ysato@etl.go.jp (Yutaka Sato 佐藤豊)

Hi Piero,

In message <_A128@delegate-en.ML_>
on 10/16/98(23:10:00)
you "Piero Berritta" <plqaabdyi-5bnwhwdzselr.ml@ml.delegate.org> wrote:
 |can I avoid to set userid and password from a client application, putting
 |them directly on Delegate command line ?
 |I mean something like:
 |
 |..... SERVER=ftp://userid:pass@server_ftp_name:21
 |
 |or  concatenating Delegates:
 |
 |..... SERVER=ftp://userid:pass@delegate_ftp_proxy_name:<port>
 |
 |so that, client ftp shouldn't need to send the authentication paramenters
 |from command line.

RFC959 (FTP) shows that we can't omit sending at least user-name
at the beginning of a session of FTP protocol.  Thus a client of
FTP must send something like authentication even if DeleGate can
generate real authentication by proxy.

 |I saw that is possible to do it, with anonymous ftp but I didn't understand
 |if it is possible with normal authentication.

I'm curious about what you mean.

 |If not, wich part of code I have to modify to allow delegate using a command
 |line like the above one ?

I found that can DeleGate generate USER+PASS authentication with
preset values in a MOUNT parameter.

  SERVER=ftp MOUNT="/* ftp://user:pass@server/*"

But after the successful automatic login, the FTP client sends its
own USER+PASS information to start another login sequence.
We can just ignore the authentication from the client with a patch
included in this message.  (Of course the this ignorance must be
applied in narrower situation)

And I suppose we can utilize USER+PASS information from FTP client

  - to select the real FTP server by conditional MOUNT based on
    given USER name (mapping USER name to user@server like in POP)
  - to authorize the usage of the DeleGate as a FTP-proxy

*** ../dist/delegate5.7.0/src/ftp.c	Tue Sep 29 18:52:33 1998
--- ftp.c	Sat Oct 17 02:04:00 1998
***************
*** 2858,2863 ****
--- 2858,2870 ----
  			continue;
  		}

+ 		if( comeq(com,"USER") || comeq(com,"PASS") )
+ 		if( isMounted(FS) && PFC->fc_pass[0] ){
+ 			fprintf(tc,"230 you did login.\r\n");
+ 			fflush(tc);
+ 			continue;
+ 		}
+